December 7, 2018
Do you like to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea every morning or a glass of red wine with dinner (or both)? If so, there’s certainly nothing wrong with that since these are just some of the things that add to your quality of life each day! The only downside is that these beverages can make your pearly-whites not so pearly. But the good news is that you have multiple teeth whitening options to help you maintain a bright, beautiful smile. So what kind of treatments can you get from a cosmetic dentist – and what are the differences between them? Keep reading to find out, and get one step closer to having a beautiful white smile that will take years off your appearance.
Why Should You Opt For a Professional Treatment?
You might be tempted to go with an over-the-counter whitening product, but the FDA limits their strength, so they can’t provide the same results you would get from a cosmetic dentist.
Also, having a dentist evaluate your teeth beforehand is helpful because they can recommend the most effective option for your individual needs. For example, some people have severe staining from fluorosis or tetracycline use in childhood that doesn’t respond well to whitening agents.
For these patients, a dentist might recommend a more effective procedure such as porcelain veneers to prevent them from investing in something that doesn’t work well the first time.
What Are Your Options For Professional Teeth Whitening?
Both of these professional whitening options will whiten the teeth from 6-10 shades. The primary difference is that a Zoom! in-office treatment is done in one appointment in about an hour. Also, take-home options are generally less expensive. Here’s what you can expect from each procedure:
Zoom! In-Office Whitening:
- After you’re seated and comfortable, your lips, gums and cheeks will be covered and protected to avoid irritation.
- Then a whitening gel will be carefully applied to your teeth before they’re exposed to a special light to accelerate the process.
- Throughout the procedure you’ll be monitored for sensitivity until the final result is achieved.
- Finally, you’ll be given instructions for how to maintain your new smile at home.
- This option requires two visits. First, custom-made molds of your teeth will be taken to make clear plastic trays for you to wear at home.
- When you return to pick up your trays, you’ll get a supply of whitening gel as well as instructions.
- You’ll wear the trays for 30-60 minutes a day until you get the desired result, which usually takes about 2 weeks.
Regardless of which choice you go with, you’ll soon have a beautiful white smile that you’ll love to show off!
About the Author
Dr. Bita Kamali is a general and cosmetic dentist who loves to see the self-confidence her patients get from simple procedures like teeth whitening. She knows that every patient is different and always take the time to explain each option to help her patients get the results they’re after. If you want a whiter smile and would like to know more, you can contact her via her website or at (972) 818-1300.