Overcoming Anxiety with the Help of Your Sedation Dentist of Plano
January 15, 2018
Before the apple dropped to the ground in New York, you had made up your mind that this would be your year to take your dental health to the next level. You know that you fell short in a lot of areas last year and sincerely look to make changes. There’s one problem that seems to be a slight roadblock, though. You have a degree of anxiety when it comes to visiting your dentist, but this is something that you must overcome to fulfill the goals that you’ve set in place for yourself. Learn from your sedation dentist of Plano why preventive dentistry is one of the major keys to fulfilling your intentions and the ways available to calm your fears.
What is Preventive Dentistry?
The visits that you should be maintaining with your dentist fall under the category of preventive dentistry. These are semi-annual appointments where your dentist will carry out the processes that will benefit your overall health, including:
- X-rays – Your dentist will take a series of X-rays that serve two main purposes: to get a picture of the current state of your oral health and to start building a history so that at your following visits, she can track your progress or any alarming traits that are developing.
- Thorough Cleaning – The thorough cleaning that you receive at your dentist’s office will help eliminate harmful bacteria, plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums.
- Examination – Equally important is the full examination that you’ll get from your dental hygienist and dentist, together covering the full scope of the inside and outside of your oral cavity, face and neck.
Why is the Semi-Annual Visit So Important?
These visits are important because they can prevent a lot of pain and suffering. Your dentist will be able to catch any budding issues before they become major problems, which should leave you feeling secure and empowered.
This is why it’s necessary to overcome your dental anxieties. Regular visits to your dentist are just too important to miss out on.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
One of the methods available to ensure that you can take advantage of these opportunities and not be crippled by your fears, is sedation dentistry. Its purpose is to take the edge off so that you can have a comfortable experience at your in-office visit. Your dentist offers the following types:
- Oral Conscious Sedation – This method is great if you feel handicapped by the mere thought of traveling to the dentist’s office. Your local professional will prescribe you a pill to take about an hour before the procedure starts, so that by the time you arrive for your visit, you will already be relaxed. Due to the long-lasting effects, it’s suggested that you have a friend or family member available to drive your home.
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation – The other option available for you is nitrous oxide, more familiarly known as “laughing gas.” It is inhaled throughout the procedure and allows your dentist to adjust the amount delivered as needed. An advantage of this method is that the effects wear off relatively quickly, so there should be no issues with returning to your normal activities after your procedure is done.
If you have anxiety or phobia about visiting your dentist, let her staff know before arriving so that they’ll have all the pieces in place to afford you the best experience possible, allowing you to reap the benefits of excellent oral health.
About the Author
Dr. Bita Kamali completed the dental hygiene program at Baylor College of Dentistry and then went on to earn her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the same institution. Since then, she has remained on the forefront of the latest advancements in dentistry. Dr. Kamali practices at Parkway Vista Dental and can be reached for more information through her website.