June 29, 2023
You may consider Invisalign a purely cosmetic treatment. After all, most focus on how it straightens your smile. However, clear aligners also have a physical perk. More specifically, Invisalign can help with TMJ disorder by aligning your bite. You’d then feel less pain and experience a better quality of life. To prove these claims, your Plano dentist is here with the evidence. Here’s a summary of TMJ disorder, how Invisalign helps it, and the other benefits of clear aligners.
Remind Me: What’s TMJ Disorder?
To be clear, TMJ stands for the temporomandibular joint – a hinge that connects your jawbone to your skull. You thus have a TMJ on both sides of your jaw, ensuring you can chew and bite properly.
Unfortunately, your TMJs can sometimes get irritated or suffer problems. These issues are collectively known as TMJ disorders or “TMD.” They’re most often caused by arthritis, jaw injury, and issues with jaw alignment. The last factor, especially, puts excess pressure on the TMJ via biting.
Given its typical causes, TMD’s symptoms include the following:
- Jaw aches/pain
- Tightness in jaw muscles
- Difficulty chewing
- Clicking of the jaw joint
Invisalign & TMJ Disorder
As it happens, Invisalign can actually relieve some TMD symptoms. This upside is due to how treatment alters your bite’s alignment.
Remember, Invisalign puts pressure on crooked teeth to straighten them. This action also realigns your upper and lower jaws. As a result, an aligner procedure can make it easier for you to move your mouth, chew, and speak. From there, you’d find relief from your TMD symptoms. With less pressure on your TMJs, you’d suffer less inflammation and pain.
Other Benefits of Invisalign
Straighter teeth and reduced jaw pain aren’t Invisalign’s only benefits. By using clear aligners, you’ll even get to enjoy advantages like:
- Near-Invisible Treatment – Unlike metal braces, Invisalign aligners use clear plastic. That means they’re hardly noticeable and won’t draw unwanted attention.
- Greater Comfort – Compared to brackets and wires, Invisalign is much more comfortable. You won’t have to deal with sharp edges or pieces poking your mouth.
- Easier Eating – Certain foods are off-limits with braces due to how they cling to the metal parts. However, you can remove Invisalign trays so they won’t interfere with meals.
- Faster Results – The typical braces treatment can take 2-3 years. In contrast, the Invisalign journey only needs a year or so to finish.
Among other things, Invisalign really can help with TMJ disorder. So, visit your local dentist to see if the treatment might ease your aching jaw.
About the Practice
Parkway Vista Dental is based in Plano, TX. Led by Dr. Bita Kamali, our practice strives to give each patient personalized dentistry. To that end, we offer preventive, cosmetic, and restorative services tailored to your unique smile, as well as emergency procedures. Our office also prides itself on being a certified provider of Invisalign clear braces. For more information or to book a visit, you can reach us on our website or by phone at (972)-818-1300.